Saturday, January 17, 2009

Universal Prayer Of Pope Clement XI

I believe, O Lord, strengthen my faith; I hope, may I hope with greater certainty; I love, may I love with greater ardor; I am sorry, may I have greater sorrow.

I adore Thee as the Author of my being; I desire Thee as my end; I praise Thee as my perpetual benefactor; I invoke Thee as my sovereign protector.

Direct me by Thy wisdom, restrain me with Thy justice; comfort me with Thy clemency; protect me with Thy power.

I consecrate to Thee my thoughts, that I may think of Thee; my words, that I may speak of Thee; my actions, that they may be according to Thy will; my sufferings, for Thy greater glory.

I want what Thou want, because Thou want it, as Thou want it, until Thou want it.

I beg Thee to illuminate my intellect, to inflame my will, to purify my body and sanctify my soul.

May I shed tears for my past sins, repulse future temptations, correct my bad inclinations, and practice holy virtues.

O my God, grant me love of Thee, hatred of myself, zeal for my neighbor, and contempt of the world.

May I always obey my superiors, help my inferiors, be faithful to my friends, and pardon my enemies.

May I overcome voluptuousness by austerity, avarice by liberality, anger by meekness, and lukewarmness by fervor.

Make me prudent in my plans, constant in danger, patient in adversity, and humble in prosperity.

Grant, O Lord, that I may be attentive in prayer, temperate in food, diligent in my duties, and constant in my resolutions.

May I always be vigilant to dominate my nature, to cultivate grace, to observe the Commandments, and to obtain eternal salvation.

O Lord, teach me the unimportance of this world, the greatness of divine things, the briefness of time, and the duration of eternity.

Grant that I may always be prepared for death, that I may fear Thy judgment, that I may escape hell, and that I may merit heaven.
Amen.

No comments: