Monday, October 6, 2008

Saint Ambrose

Lord Jesus Christ, I approach your banquet table in fear and trembling, for
I am a sinner, and dare not rely on my own worth but only on your goodness
and mercy. I am defiled by many sins in body and soul, and by my unguarded thoughts and words.

Gracious God of majesty and awe, I seek your protection, I look for your
healing. Poor troubled sinner that I am, I appeal to You, the fountain of
all mercy. I cannot bear your judgment, but I trust in your salvation.
Lord, I show my wounds to You and uncover my shame before You. I know my sins are many and great, and they will fill me with fear, but I hope in Your
Mercies, for they cannot be numbered.

Lord Jesus Christ, eternal king, God and man, crucified for mankind, look
upon me with mercy and hear my prayer, for I trust in You. Have mercy on
me, full of sorrow and sin, for the depth of your compassion never ends.

Praise to You, saving sacrifice, offered on the wood of the cross for me and for all mankind. Praise to the noble and precious blood, flowing from the
wounds of my crucified Lord Jesus Christ and washing away the sins of the
whole world. Remember, Lord, your creature, whom You have redeemed with Your Blood. I repent my sins, and I long to put right what I have done.
Merciful Father, take away all my offenses and sins; purify me in body and
soul, and make me worthy to taste the holy of holies.

May Your Body and Blood, which I intend to receive, although I am unworthy, be for me the remission of my sins, the washing away of my guilt, the end of my evil thoughts, and the rebirth of my better instincts. May it incite me
to do the works pleasing to You and profitable to my health in body and
soul, and be a firm defense against the wiles of my enemies.

Amen.

No comments: